Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Driving

I am certain there should be a law against astronomers driving after sunset. 

Recently we were returning from a trip out of state to visit family.  Since the time change, it's been getting dark early and quickly, so it was well into night as we neared home.  I remember leaving the highway and drifting closer toward the country roads where we lived.  I couldn't help but stare out the windows at the stars, peeking in and out of the clouds.  And since I wasn't driving myself this time, I even opened the sunroof to stare up. 

As a passenger, this only gave me a crink in the neck, but had I been driving, I'm sure I would have veered off the road into a ditch, or a deer.  Either way, it would be hazardous to my health.

I can drive myself at night, I'm a grown up, and I can resist the temptation to stare up and drift off into the universe.  But I'd rather be the passenger at night, so I don't have to stick in reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment